CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THE SEPTEMBER 23, 2016 MISBI SEMINAR IN AUSTIN!
Essays as a Requirement of Deferred Dispostion
Did you know that municipal courts may assign an essay to a juvenile as a requirement of deferred disposition? Below are some examples of essay topics used by real juvenile case managers:
- List four organizations that assist teens with alcohol/tobacco issues, explain what the organizations do, explain your opinion of each organization, explain how alcohol/tobacco companies market their products to make them more appealing, and explain your opinion of these tactics;
- Summarize the dangers and effects of drinking;
- An apology letter to the juvenile offender's parents about the violation, an explanation of what the consequences might be, and what is going to be done to fix the problem;
- Summarize the effects of alcohol, marijuana, or whatever substance is applicable on the body;
- Write an apology letter to any victims involved in the offense;
- Research a story online about a victim of an alcohol-related offense and write an essay on how the story affects you;
- List everything you have to lose by using drugs or alcohol; or
- Research and summarize Texas alcohol laws.
Many juvenile case managers use a plagiarism checker to ensure that juvenile offenders are creating original work. A good one can be found here.
For more information contact TMCEC at 800.252.3718
A project of the Texas Municipal Courts Education Center
in cooperation with the Texas Department of Transportation